Peace Camp Mission Statement
Peace Camp provides the Houston metropolitan area with an alternative day camp experience which fosters an understanding of peace, justice, and environmental awareness appropriate to the age of the children involved.
- To teach concepts of peace, equality, and justice at the appropriate age level.
- To encourage the development of self-esteem and critical thinking skills.
- To encourage respect for the environment and each other.
- To introduce peaceful non-violent conflict management skills and alternatives to competition and violence.
- To provide an opportunity for children of diverse backgrounds to create comfortable relationships.
Most summers, Peace Camp is a day camp for children in 1st through 12th grade and each week-long session is held at a different location throughout the Houston metro area. However, for Summer 2021, we will have only one session and the age range is limited to 6 years old through 6th grade. More details are in the peace camp registration link below.
Peace Camp is not religious and welcomes all children. Tuition is just $200 for grade 6 and under, and both full and partial scholarships are available. We want all children to be able to attend.
Join us for Peace Camp! With room for 20 campers in each session, yoga, drumming, cooperative games and special guests will be part of the program.
Peace Camp Program for Teens
Next summer, we hope to be able to return to including teens in the Peace Camp program where they will be able to earn service hours for assisting children and adults by helping with crafts, reading to kids, presenting skits, gardening, and other fun activities. There will also be age appropriate special guests and presentations for those in 6th-12th grade.
For children of all ages, parents must register them in advance. Join us in helping our youth and community become more peaceful, and to learn skills that will help them throughout life.
Peace Camp News
Plans for Peace Camp are more limited this year (2021), as we emerge from the pandemic.
SAVE JULY 19-23, 2021 FOR PEACE CAMP.
It will be at Mission Milby at 2220 Broadway St. in Houston’s East End. The age range will be from age 6 through those who will be in grade 6 this fall.
More details will be posted here when available.
Pre-registration is required for Peace Camp Houston. Use this Peace Camp registration form.
- Center for the Healing of Racism
- Decade of Non-violence for the Children of the World
- Dominican Sisters
- Emerson UU Church
- Fifth Ward Enrichment Program – Omawale Lathule
- First Congregational Church of Houston
- Houston Committee for Youth and Non-military Opportunities
- Houston Mennonite Church
- Live Oak Friends Meeting
- Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
- Pax Christi
- People Opposed to Paddling Students
- Peaceful Schools Program
- SHAPE Community Center
- War Resisters League