Peace Camp Mission Statement
Peace Camp provides the Houston metropolitan area with an alternative day camp experience which fosters an understanding of peace, justice, and environmental awareness appropriate to the age of the children involved.
Pre-registration is required for Peace Camp Houston. Register for Peace Camp here.
- To teach concepts of peace, equality, and justice at the appropriate age level.
- To encourage the development of self-esteem and critical thinking skills.
- To encourage respect for the environment and each other.
- To introduce peaceful non-violent conflict management skills and alternatives to competition and violence.
- To provide an opportunity for children of diverse backgrounds to create comfortable relationships.
Here is the schedule for our 2022 Peace Camp weeks:
- June 20-24 at Mission Milby, 2220 Broadway in east Houston. This week will be for children who will be in grades 1-6 next fall. The two teachers leading the program for this week are bilingual English/Spanish speakers.
- (The camp that was scheduled for July 18-22 has been cancelled due to inadequate registrations.)
- Aug. 1-5 at Houston Mennonite Church, 1231 Wirt Rd. in northwest Houston. This week will be exclusively for older campers who will be in grades 7-12 next fall.
For each week, the camp runs from 9 am to 3 pm. We plan for staff to be there by 8:30 am each day so you can drop off your children after that time. After-camp care is available if requested in advance on the registration form. For children of all ages, parents must register them in advance (see link above). Don’t wait, as each week of Peace Camp almost always fill up!
Join us in helping our youth and community become more peaceful, and to learn skills that will help them throughout life.
Peace Camp is not religious, and welcomes all children. Tuition is just $200 per week for grades 1-6, and $100 for those who will be in grades 7-12 in the fall, and both full and partial scholarships are available. (It takes more staff for the younger children.) We want all children to be able to attend.
All students, as well as all adults, must be vaccinated for COVID-19 in order to participate. Don’t wait until it’s time for camp to get vaccinated.
Join us for Peace Camp! With room for 20 campers in each session, yoga, drumming, cooperative games and special guests will be part of the program.
Peace Camp Program for Teens
This year, Peace Camp will be on different weeks for younger and older campers. The Peace Camp program for teens will be somewhat different than for younger children, with age appropriate special guests, presentations, and activities for those in 7th-12th grade.
Peace Camp News
Check back later for more details, as we emerge from the pandemic and confirm more details for each week.
Peace Camp Photos and Videos
- Center for the Healing of Racism
- Decade of Non-violence for the Children of the World
- Dominican Sisters
- Emerson UU Church
- Fifth Ward Enrichment Program – Omawale Lathule
- First Congregational Church of Houston
- Houston Committee for Youth and Non-military Opportunities
- Houston Mennonite Church
- Live Oak Friends Meeting
- Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
- Pax Christi
- People Opposed to Paddling Students
- Peaceful Schools Program
- SHAPE Community Center
- War Resisters League