Peace Camp Mission Statement
Peace Camp provides the Houston metropolitan area with an alternative day camp experience which fosters an understanding of peace, justice, and environmental awareness appropriate to the age of the children involved.
- To teach concepts of peace, equality, and justice at the appropriate age level.
- To encourage the development of self-esteem and critical thinking skills.
- To encourage respect for the environment and each other.
- To introduce peaceful non-violent conflict management skills and alternatives to competition and violence.
- To provide an opportunity for children of diverse backgrounds to create comfortable relationships.
Peace Camp is a day camp for children in 1st through 12th grade. Each week-long session is held at a different location throughout the Houston metro area. Peace Camp is not religious and welcomes all children. Tuition is just $185 for grade 5 and under (less for teens), and both full and partial scholarships are available. We want all children to be able to attend.
Join us for Peace Camp! With room for 30 campers in each session, yoga, drumming, puppets, cooperative games and special guests will be part of the program.
Peace Camp Program for Teens
Teens may be able to earn service hours for assisting children and adults by helping with crafts, reading to kids, presenting skits, gardening, and other fun activities. There will also be age appropriate special guests and a book study for those in 6th-12th grade. We can promise an interesting, meaningful experience! Tuition is sliding scale based on the ability to pay. We are a small non-profit, but we need to cover expenses for their T-shirts, books, etc. Donations from the families of teens are appreciated but there is not a required participation fee.
For children of all ages, parents must register them in advance. Join us in helping our youth and community become more peaceful, and to learn skills that will help them throughout life.
Peace Camp News
Plans for Peace Camp are more limited this year (2021), as we emerge from the pandemic.
SAVE JULY 19-23, 2021 FOR PEACE CAMP.
It will be at Mission Milby at 2220 Broadway St. in Houston’s East End. The age range will be from age 6 through those who will be in grade 6 this fall.
More details will be posted here when available.
Pre-registration is required for Peace Camp Houston. Use this Peace Camp registration form.
- Center for the Healing of Racism
- Decade of Non-violence for the Children of the World
- Dominican Sisters
- Emerson UU Church
- Fifth Ward Enrichment Program – Omawale Lathule
- First Congregational Church of Houston
- Houston Committee for Youth and Non-military Opportunities
- Houston Mennonite Church
- Live Oak Friends Meeting
- Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
- Pax Christi
- People Opposed to Paddling Students
- Peaceful Schools Program
- SHAPE Community Center
- War Resisters League