Peace Camp Mission Statement
Peace Camp provides the Houston metropolitan area with an alternative day camp experience which fosters an understanding of peace, justice, and environmental awareness appropriate to the age of the children involved.
- To teach concepts of peace, equality, and justice at the appropriate age level.
- To encourage the development of self-esteem and critical thinking skills.
- To encourage respect for the environment and each other.
- To introduce peaceful non-violent conflict management skills and alternatives to competition and violence.
- To provide an opportunity for children of diverse backgrounds to create comfortable relationships.
Peace Camp is a day camp for children in 1st through 12th grade. Each week-long session is held at a different location throughout the Houston metro area. Peace Camp is not religious and welcomes all children. Tuition is just $185 for grade 5 and under (less for teens), and both full and partial scholarships are available. We want all children to be able to attend.
Join us for Peace Camp! With room for 30 campers in each session, yoga, drumming, puppets, cooperative games and special guests will be part of the program.
Peace Camp Program for Teens
Earn volunteer credit for assisting children and adults by helping with crafts, reading to kids, presenting skits, gardening, and other fun activities. There will also be age appropriate special guests and a book study for those in 6th-12th grade. We can promise an interesting, meaningful experience! Tuition is sliding scale based on the ability to pay. We are a small non-profit, but we need to cover expenses for their T-shirts, books, etc. Donations from the families of teens are appreciated but there is not a required participation fee.
Parents of all ages must apply in advance. Please see the registration page link below for more information. Join us in helping our youth and community become more peaceful, and to learn skills that will help them throughout life.
Peace Camp News
Peace Camp Canceled for 2020 due to COVID-19, watch for Peace Club updates
Out of a concern for both campers and staff, we have decided to cancel all Peace Camp sessions for 2020 due to COVID-19. If and when public health authorities determine that it’s safe to begin meeting in person, we plan to hold some meetings of Peace Club, which are free of cost. Please keep an eye on the website and/or our Facebook page for updates. We will very much miss our sessions this year and look forward to resuming Peace Camp next year.
Pre-registration is required for Peace Camp Houston. A link will be added here when 2021 plans for Peace Camp are firmed up.
- Pax Christi
- SHAPE Community Center
- Houston Committee for Youth and Non-military Opportunities
- Dominican Sisters
- Houston Peace Forum
- Peaceful Schools Program
- Houston Mennonite Church
- Decade of Non-violence for the Children of the World
- Central Food Co-op
- Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
- People Opposed to Paddling Students
- Live Oak Friends Meeting
- First Congregational Church of Houston
- Unity Church
- Center for the Healing of Racism
- War Resisters League
- Fifth Ward Enrichment Program – Omawale Lathule