- This event has passed.
Two Rivers Camp: Spring Break Caravan
March 13, 2017 - March 17, 2017
The Society of Native Nations, Big Bend Defense Coalition, and others resisting the Trans Pecos Pipeline near Big Bend. The Two Rivers Camp is setup near Marfa Texas and has been carrying out direct actions for a few weeks, as part of a larger 2 year resistance against the pipeline.
This is the last stand, as the pipeline is scheduled to be complete by the end of the first quarter of 2017. As an elder said, even stopping the last connecting 10 feet is stopping the pipeline.
Of the 10 indigenous environmental struggles, this has been slated as the priority for 2017.
environment/10-indigenous-and- environmental-struggles-and- how-you-can-help-2017
– Several ancient burial grounds have already been desecrated along the route
– Mexico has discovered large quantities of natural gas underground, yet Energy Transfer Partners has teamed up Comisión Federal de Electricidad to bring massive amounts of gas from Texas fracking fields to Mexico
– Desert landscapes take hundreds of years to rebuild
– Small leaks can lead to large fires that can wipe out vast acreage and kill livestock and people
– Land has been taken from ranchers and reportedly farmers in Mexico have been killed in the process
Elders say that the most needed items now are:
1. Money to help post bail for nonviolent protesters
2. Attorneys willing to do pro-bono work for those arrested
3. People who want to come stand in solidarity…there is a camp near Marfa
We leave you with words spoken by an elder:
We know we are trespassing.
We are here in peace.
We are here in prayer.
Other side report: http://www.