- This event has passed.
SAYHU First Southern Regional Summit 2018
September 21, 2018 @ 5:00 pm - September 23, 2018 @ 3:00 pmFree
SAYHU is inviting all Southern folks interested in change, social justice, local activism and those who want to build a community.
Some topics that will be discussed at this Houston social justice “meeting of the minds”:
1. Navigating the hyphen: What does dual cultural identity mean?
2. Colonialism and its impact on our generation.
3. Feminism in our culture: Is it taboo?
4. Relationships and Healthy Family Navigations
5. The burden of representation
6. Social Media, Digital Humanities, and building South Asian networks in the South
7. Anti-blackness in the South Asian communities
8. Immigration: know your rights and how to communicate them with our parents
9. SAYHU Preservation Project and doing oral histories in your community
10. Being South Asian in the South
…and so much more
This South Asian-led summit will be a weekend to discuss unique experiences and share tools for organizing around social justice issues in the South. We aim to empower our communities, learn from one another and to build networks in order to make change happen. This is just the beginning!
Join us for part or the whole weekend, we just want you here (food will be served):
Friday, Sept 21, 2018 – 5pm – 8pm
Saturday, Sept 22, 2018 – 10am – 6pm
Sunday, Sept 23, 2018 – 10am – 3pm
We hope that you will leave with meaningful connections, skills, and ideas back to your communities and campuses. We’re looking forward to hosting you.