The Premier Vegan Community Festival of Texas is a festival for ALL ages! FREE ADMISSION! VegFest Houston is one of the most diverse vegan festivals in the country. We host it annually here in Houston -- the nation's 4th largest city! Festival features include: vegan cuisine, guest speakers, activities for kids, live music, food and fitness demos, exhibitor booths and prize giveaways.
he 4th annual Texas Transgender Nondiscrimination Summit will take place at UH-Clear Lake on July 20-21 and this year will be hosted by the UHCL International Intercultural Student Services (IISS)-Women’s and GLBT Resource Center at the University Of Houston-Clear Lake.
The TTNS will start at 9 AM CDT and the University of Houston-Clear Lake is located at 2700 Bay Area Blvd in Clear Lake, near NASA's Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center.
Come together in the name of civil rights and justice. Sponsored by ten organizations, representing a broad spectrum of interests and communities, this day-long program will feature speakers and, most importantly, your ideas and energy to address important issues related to civil liberties post 9/11, immigrants rights, and criminal justice reform. Hear Amy Goodman, host of the nationally broadcast Democracy Now!
Town Hall Meeting & Book Signing with Cindy Sheehan on Revolution, A Love Story 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 27
Cindy Sheehan will be in Houston to discuss and sign copies of her new book Revolution: A Love Story. The book examines the US government's interventionist policies in Latin America and the attendant rise of revolution south of the border. Copies of her book will be on sale.
Join Us in Houston!
You are invited to join Healthcare-NOW! activists from around the country to plan our strategy to win guaranteed single-payer national health insurance. By learning and sharing with one another we can build on the tremendous successes of the last year and develop the plan to push Congress to implement single-payer national health insurance NOW.
When: January 28 and 29, 2012
Where: Hilton Houston Hobby Airport, Houston, TX
Please join the Houston Peace and Justice Center for this upcoming conference, Power to the People: Saving Democracy through Effective Strategies, Tactics and Turnout on July 9, 2011. Sign up early for this dynamic conference where we will learn first hand about the challenges facing the citizens of Texas and how we can effectively respond to these challenges.
Our so-called representative goverment fails The People when it concedes to:
- Budget cutbacks which hurt poor and working class families and our youth
- Corporate takeover of the U.S
- Anti-immigrant legislation
- Anti–union mentality
- Systemic racial and economic biases
- Endless war
Government Of The People, By The People, and For The People requires us to:
- Effectively strategize our social justice campaigns!
- Get out the vote!
- Engage youth!
- Use new technology!
- Know how to work with the news media!
- Embrace nonviolence
Bring Power to The People and hone your activists' skills with the help of such leaders as Maria Jiminez, Ginny Goldman, Mustafaa Carroll, Ester King, Elsa Caballero, Charlie Mauch, Bob Henschen, Christina Sanders, Mike Espinoza, Maria Xiquin, Maureen Haver, Murvin Auzenne, Cesar Espinosa, Sarah Gonzales and Victor Castillo.
- Morning: Panel Discussion and Workshop . . . Delicious Luncheon . . . Afternoon: choice of two of four workshops . . . Closing: Nonviolence and Social Movements
- Dr. Robert Jensen, UT Professor of Journalism, keynotes on “The Power -- and Limits -- of Social Movements”
- Chidren are welcomed: At no extra charge, attendees' children ages three years and up can attend a day-long Peace Camp Experience held at the same location.
- All those present at the conference closing are invited to attend, free of charge, a 12-hour nonviolence program “From Violence to Wholeness” later this summer.
- Door prize drawings at 5:00 pm. You must be present to win.
Pecore Hall, St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
1800 Sul Ross at Woodhead, Houston, TX 77098
with additional parking at 1805 West Alabama
($5 for students and people with limited income). Lunch is included!
Please register as soon as possible.